In early May, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the American Health Care Act (AHCA), a health care reform bill that will have serious consequences for the epilepsy community if enacted. The AHCA would repeal many of the patient protections created by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and radically change the Medicaid program.
The Senate has reviewed the AHCA, and developed the Better Care Reconciliation Act, a similar bill that would make dramatic changes to our health care system. To learn more about the Epilepsy Foundation's concerns with the AHCA and BCRA, review our Letter to Senate Leadership and visit our website at advocacy.epilepsy.com/ACA.
Now is the perfect time for epilepsy advocates to speak up and speak out! Take this opportunity to schedule appointments with Congressional staff at district offices to talk about the importance of protecting access to health care for people with epilepsy. Encourage them to preserve critical patient protections created by the ACA and reconsider changes to Medicaid so that people living with chronic conditions and disabilities have access to affordable health care.
Here's how to get started:
- Use our "Find Your Elected Officials" tool at advocacy.epilepsy.com/Elected to find the contact information for the district offices of your senators.
- Request appointments to speak with the senators or their staff about issues important to the epilepsy community in your state.
- When you secure a meeting, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help you prepare.
- Review background information on access to health care and the AHCA and BCRA at advocacy.epilepsy.com/ACA.
- Ask friends or neighbors who care about epilepsy issues to attend the meeting with you.
- Meet with your senators or their staff. Use the advocacy strategies that you learned at TSU to share your story, explain the issues, and ask for support.
- Thank the senators or their staffers for meeting with you and remember to send a thank-you note after the meeting.
- Share the results from your visit by emailing us at email@example.com.